For the upcoming bike swap on March 30th, 2013 here are a few general tips to keep in mind.
Information on this years bike swap can be found in this post here.
Bike Swap Tips
- There is no Kelly or NADA blue book for used bicycles; so all used bicycle values are relative to the buyer and seller.
- So a general depreciation schedule needs to be considered. Most bike shop bikes are designed for 5+ years life; reaching a slower rate of depreciation between year 3 or 4 as long as they are maintained.
- Important value factors: Age and Component Condition are primary; followed by frame model (and brand) and condition. The frame may be scratched up or even dented, but if the components are in good condition or new that brings more value.
- Bikes depreciate 5-35% immediately at time of purchase, then 20% per year per IRS schedules.
Based on this information above about bike values the following value chart may be useful as a ‘general guide’; there are always exceptions.
Calculating the Value of a used bicycle
|Original Cost||Immediate (5%)||Yearly Depreciation Rate||Max Yr 1 Value||Gen Yr 2 Value||Gen Yr 3 Value||Gen Yr 4 Value|
Bike parts, like car parts, are designed for a certain amount of wear and tear before wearing to a point beyond their optimal functional. Though like used car parts may be used for parts or used as a straight replacement depending on a cyclists needs. Used parts other than frames rarely have more than 50% of their original cost value; with some exceptions.
Parts of a Bicycle:
Image used with written permission fromJim Langley of http://www.jimlangley.net
Parts that are considered to wear quickest and are considered disposable:
- Inflatable Tubes
- Bottom Brackets
- Brake Pads & Discs
- Brake Tubing or Cables
Parts that are considered high wear and sometimes can be salvaged or repaired:
- Chain Rings
- Shifters *
- Brake Levers *
*= For Shifters and Brake levers that are damaged or , not just needing tune-up or adjustment.
Parts that are considered low wear and have a high functional and/or low cost recylability rate even with high cosmetic wear.
- Seats / Saddles
Accessories that to hold their value well:
- Paneer Racks and Bags
- Rollers & other Bike Trainers
- Bike Repair Stands
- Bike Trailers