What a GLORIOUS racing season we had! A huge THANK YOU to all of you that raced, cheered, volunteered and were otherwise with us in spirit!
PLEASE TAKE OUR END-OF-SEASON SURVEY. Give us feedback, otherwise, we won’t know what you want!!! Super important for our planning meeting for next year, because we’re considering all sorts of radical changes. 🙂
A recap of our schedule:
- May – Arctic Valley Hill Climb
- June – 2 Kincaid XC races + 24 Hours of Kincaid
- July – 3 Kincaid XC races (one of those was held up at Hillside)
- August – 1 Kincaid XC race + 4 State Championship races in one epic weekend
AMAZING turn-out for the races this year!
- 268 racers in the Kincaid XC series
- 68 racers for the Champs series
- 71 racers for the 24 Hours of Kincaid
The Mountain Racing Division will be experiencing a fairly significant turn-over this winter, meaning that you can expect some changes for next season…
- DIVISION RACE DIRECTOR – Megan is stepping down, and we are actively seeking her replacement. This is a paid position and requires a flexible summer schedule and availability for at least 90% of the races. This is a part-time gig – about 10-25 hours per week, depending on if there is a race.
- DIVISION ASSISTANT RACE DIRECTOR – This is also a paid position and duties vary depending on what the Race Director needs help with. Again, requires a flexible summer schedule and availability for at least 70% of the races. Part-time, around 5-10 hours a week, depending.
- 24 HOURS OF KINCAID RACE DIRECTOR – This individual receives a stipend for work accomplished. Requires that you be present for the race. Responsible for everything that goes into organizing this race – planning, logisitics, advertising, media, prizes/awards, developing budget, etc…
- DIVISION BOARD MEMBERS – These positions are volunteer – no compensation, but you do get to race for free! Each board member is responsible for a different aspect of the club (permits, advertising, award & swag gathering/ordering, volunteer coordinator, website/social media, etc…). Requires you to be around for most of the summer and depending on your specific duties, will require a few hours a week.
- TRAIL CREW MEMBERS – These positions are also volunteer, but again, you get to race for free. If you like to be outside, working on the courses (design, clearing, flagging/marking, cleaning), then this is for you! It is THE BEST WAY to get to know the race courses before the race. Requires that you are around during most of the race season. About 2-6 hours on a race week.
- REGISTRATION & TIMING VOLUNTEERS – these positions are purely volunteer & involve helping with on-site registration and timing before and during each race. Usually 2-3 hours on race day. It’s nice to have a pool of folks to pick from so that you are not required to be at each race all summer. No money involved, just lots of good karma + you get to hang out with really awesome folks.
If you are interested in becoming more involved in the mountain biking community, specifically the MTB racing community, this is the BEST way! All you have to do is send Megan an email telling her what you are interested in and she will get back to you! There will be a “welcome new folks!” meeting sometime in early October where we will all figure out who is going to tackle what. EMAIL: email@example.com
- PLEASE TAKE OUR END-OF-SEASON SURVEY. Give us feedback, otherwise, we won’t know what you want!!! Super important for our planning meeting for next year, because we’re considering all sorts of radical changes. 🙂
- Like us on Facebook.
- Email the race director if you are interested in being a part of the MTB crew: firstname.lastname@example.org
- SEE YOU NEXT YEAR!
IT’S TIME! The 2014 ALASKA STATE MOUNTAIN RACING CHAMPIONSHIPS starts TOMORROW!
Online registration is OPEN – please register for any/all races by 1pm tomorrow (Thursday). Click on the links below.
- CHAMPS PASS (all 4 races)
- THURSDAY (Hillside Hill Climb, 7pm Hilltop Chalet parking lot)
- FRIDAY (Kincaid XC, 7pm Lower Stadium parking lot)
- SATURDAY (Kincaid Short Track, 10am Jodhpur parking lot)
- SUNDAY (Hillside XC, 10am Hilltop Chalet parking lot)
Race details can be found HERE (the event page on this website). But remember, you must check in during the hour before the pre-race meeting! Pre-race meeting is always 15 minutes before the race starts.
If you have questions, please email the race director at email@example.com.
See you all there!
A great end to the Kincaid XC Series! Thank you to everyone that came out and joined in the fun (and let’s be honest, the occasional suffering) – the Mountain Division has grown over the last 5 years to amazing numbers! It just goes to show that the love of mountain biking (and the FANTASTIC trails at Kincaid) is also growing!
Like I mentioned at the race last night, the ABC Mountain Racing Division Board is actively seeking 3-4 new board members as we are about to experience some turn-over in members.
Being a board member means:
- harboring a not-so-secret love of mountain biking and a having history of participating in our races
- a willingness to put in time designing, clearing & marking race courses (we’ve got 6 Kincaid races, 1 24-hour race and 4 championship races that need a fair amount of work)
- being available through most of the summer (or rather, most of the race dates) so that course duties don’t fall heavy on just a few
- racing for FREE in any race that the Arctic Bike Club puts on (this means Road, Mountain, Cross & Touring)
- meeting occasionally throughout the year to decide the race schedule, figure out awards/prizes, HOW the races are run/held and various other random race things that have a tendency to come up
- understanding that while you don’t get paid a single cent, the benefits of being part of this amazing community are MORE than enough to get you through – mountain bikers are seriously awesome people and you will meet and get to know A LOT of them!!!
- if you are interested in joining the crew, please send an email to the Race Director! firstname.lastname@example.org
RESULTS & POINTS
2014 Kincaid XC #6 Results
2014 Kincaid XC Points (remember, you’re “worst” race gets dropped- only 5 races count towards your points total) (top 3 will be awarded at the Awards BBQ on Sunday, Aug 24 – info on that will be in the Champs posts coming soon).
NEXT UP: AK State Championships, August 21-24 – 4 races, 4 days – online registration and all the details will be posted this week. STAY TUNED!!!
MOUNTAIN RACING DIVISION:
Updated (8/4) XC #5 results: 2014 Kincaid XC #5 Results
Updated Kincaid XC series POINTS: 2014 Kincaid XC Points (we’ve got 271 racers so far this season!!!)
Next race: Tuesday, August 12 – Kincaid XC #6 …. THE FINAL KINCAID RACE!!! (online registration is open – link is HERE)
And then it’s on to the AK State Mountain Racing Championships (which is open to everyone, all abilities/ages). Dates below:
- Thursday, August 21, 7pm HILLSIDE HILLCLIMB
- Friday, August 22, 7pm KINCAID SHORT XC
- Saturday, August 23, 1oam KINCAID SHORT TRACK
- Sunday, August 24, 11am HIILLSIDE LONG XC
- Sunday, August 24, 6pm AWARDS BBQ @ ABBOTT LOOP COMMUNITY PARK
Online registration for State Champs will open within the next week or so. Stay tuned! 🙂
Thanks to everyone that came out for a perfect evening of biking! We changed it up tonight and held our Kincaid XC race up on the Hillside trails. Nice change of venue, great chance to ride different trails! We hoped you loved the course as much as we did.
KINCAID XC4 RESULTS 7.17.14
See you all again for Kincaid XC #5, which will actually be held out at Kincaid, on a Tuesday. July 29.